Executive Order No. 128 mandates the Department to “provide central direction, leadership and coordination of scientific and technological efforts and ensure that the results therefrom are geared and utilized in areas of maximum economic and social benefits for the people”.
An effective and competent catalyst of inclusive development by providing world class and innovative Science and Technology services in Region X.
1. Formulate and adopt a comprehensive National Science and Technology Plan, and monitor and coordinate its funding and implementation;
2. Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake scientific and technological research and development in areas identified as vital to the country's development;
3. Promote the development of indigenous technology and the adaptation and innovation of suitable imported technology, and in this regard, undertake technology development up to commercial stage;
4. Undertake design and engineering works to complement research and development functions;
5. Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the transfer of the results of scientific and technological research and development to their end-users;
6. Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the technological services needed by agriculture, industry, transport, and the general public;
7. Develop and maintain an information system and databank on science and technology;
8. Develop and implement programs for strengthening scientific and technological capabilities through manpower training, infrastructure and institution-building;
9. Promote public consciousness in science and technology; and
10. Undertake policy research, technology assessment, feasibility and technical studies.