The Department, in support of MSMEs, conceived the Small Enterprises Technology Upgrading Program or SETUP. It consolidated all technology transfer and commercialization efforts. The strategy is one of two others, namely, TECHNICOM (Technological Innovation Commercialization Program) and SUPRE-GOV (Technology Support for E-Governance). All aimed at moving technology transfer programs for some 826,783 registered enterprises of which nearly a hundred percent are classified as micro, small and medium scale enterprises (MSMEs). The figure accounts for 53% of total employment and represents 60% of all exporting firms in the country.
Simply, SETUP is a nationwide strategy to encourage and assist MSMEs in adopting technological innovations. It aims to enhance operational efficiency, and boost productivity and competitiveness. Firms are empowered because solutions regard local conditions and market impact of problems.
Technology-based solutions hence raise standards and product quality. The end results are a human resource base adept in use of its skills, as well as, operations that maximize efficiency while minimizing cost and waste.
SETUP is DOST's key strategy to stimulate investments in urban, peri-urban and rural areas. The Department focuses on assisting MSMEs through:
- Provision of technology;
- Testing of products for compliance to international standards;
- Assistance in packaging and labeling of products;
- Creation and management of databases and information systems; and
- Links with national and international organizations to provide raw material source, market, training, financing, and equipment design and fabrication.
Who may apply?
- Any company or individual firm based in the Philippines and wholly owned by Filipino citizens
- Any small and medium scale business firm classified under the identified priority sectors
- Individual firm that is willing to apply technological improvements in their existing operations
How to apply?
Interested parties should send a letter of interest to avail of the SETUP assistance together with the requirement to DOST-X. The letter should identify current problems, improvements, and potential technological interventions needed by the firm.
What are the requirements to be submitted by applicants?
- Full-blown project proposal
- Technical aspect
- Marketing aspect
- Management/Administrative aspect
- Financial aspect
- Waste disposal
- Copy of business permit and licenses from Local Government Unit
- Certificate of registration of business name with the Department of Trade and Industry, Securities and Exchange Commission or Cooperative Development Authority
- Board resolution authorizing the availment of financial assistance (if applicable)
- Letter of endorsement from DOST-X
- Three price quotations from suppliers/fabricators if equipment is needed.